Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Burnham Bunch: Butterflies

Butterflies

Read: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, Butterfly Butterly by Petr Horack and Butterful or Moth: How Do You Know? by Melissa Stewart




I learned a lot of interesting facts reading Butterfly or Moth: How Do You Know? I would highly recommend including it in your storytime.

Flannel board: Very Hungry Caterpillar

Craft: Butterfly Symmetry Painting

Need: Paint, white craft paper, brown craft paper, paint brushes.

  • Prior to storytime, I folded and cut-out butterfly shapes from the white craft paper. I also cut "body" shapes from the brown.
  • At each craft seat, I placed a butterfly on a tray, a few paint brushes, and paint.
  • I explained the concept of symmetry .... "The butterfly is the same on one side as the other." I also, demonstrated the craft  ....
  • I noticed that some of the kiddos did not understand the concept of painting on only one half of the butterfly, so I suggest that you keep the butterfly folded in half.
  • We kept the finished products to dry. Then I glued a body to each butterfly.












No comments:

Post a Comment