Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Burnham Library: Apples

Apples

Read: Apple Harvest by Calvin Harris and Apple Farmer Annie by Monica Wellington


Flannel board:


(To the tune of This Old Man)
Way up high, in a tree
(Ten) red apples smiled at me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came the apples
Mmm mmmm, good.

Craft: Red Confetti Apples

Need: Craft paper in red and white, hole punch, glue sticks and green crayon.
  • Prior to storytime, I used my super-hero strength to hole-punch a zillion red dot confetti from red craft paper. I copied-off a bunch of "worksheets" with "A is for Apple" and an apple shape.
  • When the craft began, I first asked the kiddos to color the leaf green. 
  • I instructed them to very carefully "color" the inside of the apple with their glue stick.
  • Then sprinkled their confetti onto the apple and patted down the confetti to make it stick. (I shook off the surplus to use for the next craft)
  • That's about it!

I bought and sliced some apples for the kiddos to share. I also sliced two apples in half: one to reveal the "star" inside and the other to reveal the core. We talked a bit about the differences between the two as they enjoyed their apple snack.









No comments:

Post a Comment