Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Burnham Libary: Halloween Paaaar-tay

Halloween

Read: The Runway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis and There was an Old Monster! by Rebecca, Adrian & Ed Emberley

Flannel board: I'm a Friendly Monster from Storytime ABC's


I'm a little monster friendly and bright.
I won't give anyone a fright.
I love polka dots but I have none.
So step right up and give me a red one.
Repeat with Orange, Yellow, Black, White, Blue, Pink and Green
Final verse:
I'm a little monster friendly and bright.
I won't give anyone a fright.
I love polka dots and I have lots.
Thank you for all my colorful spots!
Craft: Make your own Monster!

Need: Paint, craft paper: white, black, red, orange, purple, glue sticks, scissors.
  • Prior to storytime, I made "squish paintings" *(huh? see below) one for each child ... this will be their monster. When dry, we cut out around the shape to make a monster body! We also cut out various shapes from the craft paper, to make noses, horns, eyes, mouths, teeth and etc. 
  • At storytime, each craft seat was equipped with a squish-painted monster, a glue stick, and an assortment of shapes to create their own monster.

*Squish painting - Ok, so you all know what it is ... but what exactly is the technical name? I am calling it Squish painting. Fold a piece of craft paper down the middle (longwise). Open the paper and on one side, place blob-ish amounts of paint (not too much, but not too little). Then fold the paper and SQUISH! Reopen and there is your squish painting!












No comments:

Post a Comment