Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Art in a Book

The Dot




Art in a Book is an idea that I have been wanted to blank in our library for a long time. We have LOTS of activities for the "older" kiddos: Legos, Science, Chess and etc. But, we didn't have anything really book related. I am able to tie books and art together during my Preschool storytime, but I wanted to be able to do some of the fab activities that I see on Pinterest for the Grade 2 - 5 kiddos. So, here is our first attempt at Art in a Book.

Show the Scholastic film The Dot by Peter Reynolds.

Display books: The Dot, The Museum etc.

I found some great ideas and talking points here at Classic Play.

  1. Why do you think Vashti didn't want to draw in class?
  2. What do you think she was feeling?
  3. How did the teacher help Vashti?
  4. What did she learn about art?
  5. How did Vashti help someone else?

Art activity:
  • We pre-cut circles out of various colored paper
  • Have kiddo select one circle
  • Talk inspiration: What part of an animal would be a circle, etc.
  • Have them Draw, Glue, Color and SIGN!!
  • We had pre-cut frames for the kiddos and voila!
























No comments:

Post a Comment