Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Burnham Bunch: Owls (again)

Whooooooo! Owls (again)

Read: Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton and Wow! Said the Owl by Tim Hopgood.


Story extender/ Story board: Using Wow! Said the Owl display color-appropriate story-pieces as the story progress. Give children the chance to "shout" the color that coordinates with the text.
Decided to do owls again, because I love owls and they are super-popular and there are TONS of great owl ideas out there in the blogosphere. So, I modified a craft that I found via Pinterest from a blog from Lisa Storms. She has some great ideas!

Craft: Owl

  • Need: Paper lunch-size bag. Brown, white, and black craft/construction paper and white copy paper. Glue sticks.
  • Prior to storytime, cut out 3 sizes of circles for the eyes: large = brown, medium = white, small = black. Also cut some smallish sized triangles for the beak (I used brown). I used the copier to copy text from a book, and then cute a half-oval for the owl's belly. Finally, I trimmed the top of paper bag to form a triangle.
  • Lay all the bits and bops at each craft seat.
  • I find the craft to run more smoothly, if I call out the shapes (in turn) and have the kiddos glue on accordingly. I "quiz" them ... "Ok, lets find the large brown circles. How many do you have? Ok, let's glue those first." and etc.
  • After all is glued into place. Fill the bag with some crumpled newspaper and staple shut.
  • Super owl-cuteness!







2 comments: