Thursday, September 15, 2011

Burnham Bunch: Welcome Back 2011

Burnham Bunch 2011

We're Back! So, I am just returning from a two-week (that's right!!!) vacation. And I am trying to get into storytime mode, but it is really difficult! I like to begin the new storytime year with a library/book theme. I found our book choice via another storytime blog and thought it would be fun to try it out. I also decided to incorporate a song from the author's website to get us in the mood!

I have a few new faces this session. So, I am hoping that the singing (and animal sounds that go with the book and the song) will "break the ice."

My friend Shelley made the suggestion to add a photo of the book we are reading to my blog. I will try to do this in the future!?

So, here we go! Burnham Bunch Fall/Winter 2011 begins now ......

Begin with our Welcome Song

Introduce our animal flannels: pig, goat, horse, hen, duck, cow and frog. We will sing Sing A Song.

Read: Book! Book! Book! by Deborah Bruss using our animal flannels to prompt the children to neigh, oink and etc.


Craft: I think I "cheezed-out" on the craft for this one. But, it is hard to gage the attention level of a new group of kiddos. So, I decided that they will make bookmarks. I put out a ton of stickers and let them go for it.

  • Need bookmark template (I just used a bit of clip-art and wrote each child's name on the bookmark), crayons, stickers and a bit of ribbon/yarn.
  • After they have completed decorating their bookmark, my faithful assistant will laminate them and punch a hole for a bit of yarn.
  • That's it!

Well, as is usual, the less complicated the better! The kiddos loved choosing, peeling and applying their stickers. Because of time constraints, we decided to laminate them and hand them out week. But, in the end a success. Now for next week .......



No comments:

Post a Comment