Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Burnham Bunch: Hibernation

Hibernation

Read: Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson and Animals in Winter by Martha E.H. Rustad. Another great pick is Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons by II Sung Na

 I just love Bear and Karma Wilson always a favorite pick!


Flannel Board: Time for Hibernation borrowed from Story Time Secrets

Craft: Hibernating Bear inspired by Preschool Playbook
  • Need popsicle sticks, black tissue paper, white glue, paper cup, cut-out copy of a sleeping bear and brown crayon. Prior to storytime, I poked a hole into the bottom of each cup.
  • Before we went to the craft table, I told the kiddos that we were going to do a craft with lots of "steps." And announced when we were beginning each step.
  • Step One: Each seat had a paper plate with a bear (to color) and a brown crayon. I asked each of them to color the bear and then set their crayon and bear on the table above the plate.
  • Step Two: I passed out the glue and popsicle sticks. Glue the sleeping bear to the tippity-tip of the popsicle stick and then set aside to dry.
  • Step Three: I handed out the black tissue paper. I asked the children to tear the paper into strips.(Even the littlest of the group did a great job with tearing!)
  • Step Four: Handed out paper cups and instructed them to "paint" the cup with their glue. Then place black tissue paper.
  • Step Five: From the inside, slide (mostly with the parent's help) the popsicle stick into the hole on the bottom of the cup.
  • Done!
Now if we only had some cold weather! Yesterday, I actually saw a forsythia bush in bloom. Unbelievable. But, I am sure we will be complaining soon enough of the cold and snow. So, I will just be thankful for the mild weather we are having here in good ol' Connecticut.









2 comments:

  1. Very cute caves! C's class is doing a hibernation theme also. They are wearing their PJ's to school and they made a cve they could go in and a cave for all their teddy bears. So cute. Remind me to show you C's cave he made in preschool. PS Can I have that Mom's sweater? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater was actually a awesome sweater-poncho. So, cozy. The kids loved doing this project. And they knew so much about hibernation. I really didn't even need to say a thing!

    ReplyDelete