Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Burnham Bunch: International Dot Day

International Dot Day


What is International Dot Day? Well, the day was inspired by Peter H. Reynolds fantastic book The Dot. Reynolds tells the story of a girl named Vashti, who begins a journey of self-discovery after she is dared by her teacher to “make her mark.”

Exploring the book's theme, International Dot Day is for educators around the world to encourage their students' creativity and to make their mark! We are celebrating a bit early to coincide with our Burnham Bunch Storytime (see, sometimes it is ok to bend the rules!).

Read: Ish by Peter Reynolds




Watch: The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

I was able to purchase a fantastic video from Scholastic to show to the kiddos. I have never used movies during storytime. Mostly, because I feel storytime should be about books and reading (and I know that most of the parents feel the same way).

BUT, I just had to show this video to the children. I am slowly learning, improving and manipulating my storytime in order to fit my personality and that of my kiddos. So, we will see how it goes! I also bought a great set of Caldecott Classics on video, so perhaps occasionally I will continue to incorporate a movie? We'll see ......

Craft: Coffee Filter Dots

Need: Coffee filters, markers, water spritzer and frames.
  • The kiddos used markers to make designs and/or color their coffee filters.
  • I decided that it would be easier if I "spritzed" the filters outside. So, I asked the kids to leave their projects at their craft seat. I told them that next week they would be able to see the magic!
  • After their artwork had dried, I displayed all the dots on a bulletin board with each beautiful dot creation "framed."
Before the "magic"


 














No comments:

Post a Comment