Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Burnham Bunch: The Mitten

The Mitten

Read: The Mitten by James Aylesworth and One Mitten by Kristine O'Connell George


Story-extender: I found this swell idea via Pinterest from Teach Preschool.




Instead of using our flannel board, I recreated a "mitten" on the carpet using masking tape. I have more kiddos than animal characters, so I made a few character cards of each animal: squirrel, rabbit, fox, bear and a mouse. As the story progresses, the "animals" climbed into our "mitten." At the end, when the mouse sneezes ... all the children hopped out! So, FUN! Thank you Teach Preschool!

Craft: Icy Painting found via Pinterest from Hands On: As We Grow

Need: Epsom salt, white glue, sturdy blue paper, popsicle sticks.
  • At each craft seat, I laid out a tray with a piece of blue paper, a cup of glue, a popsicle stick, and a cup of Epsom salt.
  • I asked the kiddos to load up their stick with glue and let it just drip all over the paper -- encouraging them to make big blobs and lines.
  • Then the magic! The kiddos then sprinkled the salt on to the glue. Voila! And icy masterpiece!
  • Helpful hint: I have these great trays that I use for messy projects. Using these will help with the clean-up of the salt -- especially because you know that A BUNCH of salt will be overused. 










1 comment:

  1. The mitten on the floor is so cool and you could do tis with any theme; tree, house, whale, etc. Super cool!

    ReplyDelete