Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Burnham Bunch: Ducks

Ducklings

Read: Seven Hungry Babies by Candace Fleming and Cold Little Duck, Duck, Duck by Lisa Westberg Peters.


Flannel board: I  got nothin' this week!

I am getting down-heartened with my storytime! As the school-year winds down, I begin to feel the same every year. My registration shows that the program is "full." But, I have maybe 5 out of 12 children showing. Parents are showing up late (if they show at all). This month has been a bust. It takes a lot of work to pull-together a storytime -- selecting books, finding a craft and a flannel board activity, cutting out all the millions of pieces for the craft ... Oh, well! I don't know if other storytimers have the same problems? *sigh* 

P.S. So, after explaining to the kids we are going to read books about ducks, I realize that one of my books is about BIRDS in a nest, not DUCKS! haha! Of course, the kiddos could care less. But, I was fretting, the entire time I was reading the book. Wowzer! I am losing it!

Craft: Waddling Duck
Need: White card stock, duck template, glue sticks, yellow and orange crayons, sticker eyes, feathers, brass brad.


  • Prior to storytime, I downloaded a duck template (and tweaked it a bit) and printed it out on white card stock. Then I cut out all the bits and put a small slit in the body, the wing and the feet -- this will be where we attach the brad.
  • I had the kiddos color their duck body yellow and the beak and feet orange.
  • Apply the sticker eye.
  • As each kiddos finished, I placed the brad through the wing, duck, and finally the feet
  • Then asked them to glue some feathers onto their duck.
  • And watch them waddle. Quack! Quack!







No comments:

Post a Comment